10-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I had a 2004 and a 2010 X3.

There is really no comparison. The new generation is MUCH more refined especially as far as ride quality goes. The old generation really had problems on concrete roads with poor expansion joints, sometimes going into a “rocking horse” motion that was very annoying. The new X3 handles these roads beautifully.

Interior is vastly improved all around, the NAV is integrated better.

I don’t have sport package, and didn’t on the old X3 either. The old X3 was better in cross winds, has better road feel, on-center steering and tracked better. This is not to bash the new X3, but I just don’t get the same level of feedback as I did with the first Gen. This said the F-25 still outshines the competition like Audi and MB in this regard and is quite acceptable. The only thing I regret is not getting the sports option so that in crosswinds I could stiffen the chassis up a bit.

All in all, I’m happy I traded in my 2010 for the 2011. If you have any questions either post or PM me.
I had a 2007 and I agree with most of Harplayr's thoughts -

The new model is very refined and uses better materials in the interior. The more I drive the F25, the more the differences come into focus - and not all are good.

I particularly miss the steering feel of the old car. The new one isn't as good, as mentioned. The more I think about it, the more I feel BMW needs to work on this. It's a critical part of the BMW DNA. I have the sport activity package and the dynamic handling package and I still feel this way.

Almost everything else is better in the F25. I don't notice a difference in acceleration, although its been a couple of years since we got rid of the old car. Fuel ecomomy is 2-3 mpg better in the new car. I never minded the ride of the old car, but the new one is better. Also, the transmission is much better in the F25.

If they could only get the steering feel right.......
2000 328i sedan (UUC suspension - still the favorite), 2006 M3 slick top - Alpine White/Cinnamon
SOLD! 2008 E90 M3 SOLD! 1991 325iX (both great), 2019 Miata RF - various others not as memorable but gone.
Appreciate 0