View Single Post
      11-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #33
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
Usually the cars that come closest to the official figures are large diesels. Small petrol are the worst, look at road test figures for the fiat twin air or the ford 1l ecoboost and they are both mid 30's
Even with the big diesels, the latest figures which seen to be "too good to be true" for a 3.0d usually are, when in the real world.

Often the engines that exceed the figures are the big petrol engines. My 330d touring just matched the combined figure over 55k miles, in my relatively light conditions. My 540i touring exceeded the combined figure by over 30% long term, over 45k miles. But that started from a figure which put many off, but in reality was quite an economical car for a 4.4-litre V8, at around 28mpg. My latest car, the F11 535i touring, will not quite match the combined figure for the car. For one, the figure looks too good to be true at 33.2mpg. Where is all this 'extra' economy coming from for a heavier car than my 540i, plus it is loaded with power hungry options, so I must expect a bit of shortfall. But driving it very light I've still seen over 38mpg on the OBC. 34mpg driving with the traffic on A roads and at motorway speeds over 200 miles.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0