View Single Post
      09-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
smovva
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 2019 X5

I was in same boat as you! I switched to an HTC Evo 4G Android phone and I solved my problem by buying an older used 64GB iTouch and putting that in the bmw cradle; had to use a little imagination to make sure it fits in correctly and a skull candy cover made it easy. I loaded up all my music, apps on the iTouch. I enabled wifi hotspot on my cell phone so the iTouch connects to it via wifi and can access the internet for the BMW apps (pandora etc) to work correctly. I was happy with this solution for a year and half.

Now I switched to an even better Android phone (HTC One) and a different carrier without the mobile hotspot service (costs too much). I use the iTouch now just for storing my entire iTunes music library; the iTouch wireless syncs from iTunes when I pull into the garage. I use the HTC one in bluetooth media mode to stream music from it and its apps direct to the BMW and its just as good! I have the HTC one on a car dock and since they have a really nice car mode when I dock it I use it for my navigation, music, apps and phone. Since its a newer android all the contacts sync perfectly to the car if I want to use the handsfree phone functions.

Given how quickly car cabin electronics get obsolete, I am even more convinced to not get Mfr navi and other widgets and use an easily upgradeable device like a smartphone or tablet for those services. I hear some car companies are actually taking the same approach and will start using Android or iOS tablet devices directly in the car with a docking mechanism to provide cabin media and navi services. Makes a lot of sense to me as cabin electronics do not seem to be a core competency of car manufacturers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy29 View Post
I have a 2011 X3 with 6NR (BMW apps). I have an iPhone, but unless they wow me with their new phone next week, I want to move to an Android device. I feel the iPhone has gotten stale. In any case I worry the switch will make the BMW apps useless. I use MOG, Pandora and Stitcher very frequently and it is one of my favorite aspects of my car.
I hear rumors that a BMW connected app for Android is imminent. But I don't know what that means. Does it mean that I can use Apps with and Android phone? If not, is there a solution that would allow me to get an Android phone and use my beloved apps? I don't want to get another iPhone, but I might have to. Help! Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0