View Single Post
      12-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #1
BBMk
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 BMW newbie

How Long Is Your...?

I am sure we all heard this one before. Anyway when it comes to your 3M paint protector...how much hood should the 3M product cover? Recently, I decided to get my 2 week old X3 covered with some paint protection. At a minimum, I wanted to get the hood, fenders and tailgate lip covered. The headlights/fog lights was also added at the last minute.

I called 3 installers to get quotes...then I decided to go with an approved 3M installer which was middle of the pack in pricing. I asked the usual questions...are you using 3M? are you certified? and are you using the 3M template to laser cut the pieces.

Unfotunately, when I came back to pickup my car I was very disappointed. The invisible bra appeared to be ... more like a tiny bikini.

1. The hood piece was only 8inch in depth so very little hood covered.
2. One of the foglights cutout wasn't even a proper circle...I suspect cut from left overs.
3. The fender pieces stopped 1 inch before the wheel well...I would think it should cover all the paint to the egde.
4. The tailgate piece seemed short...as opposed to going right to the curves of gate.
5. The headlight covers were the only pieces that looked fine and appeared to be a perfect cut.

I will try to post pics shortly. Any thoughts from those of you that had the job done?

Last edited by BBMk; 12-09-2011 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: add pics
Appreciate 0