View Single Post
      10-01-2015, 03:55 AM   #41
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
I don't care what reviews say about the new Jags. I am convinced that if I would buy a new Jaguar today, it will be worthless in 4 years from now.
When I buy a BMW 5 , I know that the money will be wisely invested.

Which was the case in the UK 10 years ago too, however, residuals on Jaguars are now pretty much the same as the German marques.

They obviously marketed Jaguar in the UK as they knew the support would be better here than anywhere else due to it being perceived as a British brand still. It worked.

I think it was also timed right, with BMWs getting softer and softer and less dynamic Jaguar saw a gap and went for it. Again, that appeals to lots of UK buyers. You have to remember, around 80% of UK sales are M-Sports, S-Lines, AMG Line models, which is not the case in Europe, so Jag going in with a very dynamic chassis was a clever move.

The new XE does feel sportier than the 3 Series, the XF does feel more sporty than the 5 Series, nearly every review agrees, so for a lot of buyers in the UK that is enough to get them to at least consider them.

We also have a huge number of cars financed, either lease purchase with a balloon or through contract hire, this allows the UK manufacturers to control the pricing and more importantly the residual values after 2, 3 4 or 5 years. There is no risk for the customer, it just comes down to what you prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endre2 View Post
You can get a bad reputation very quickly, but to turn that reputation good again, takes a lot of years.
Like VW now, I am sure it will take a long time to convince the public how good their Diesels really are....
Absolutely agree.

It has not happened over night, but we are now at the point in the UK where Jag is a real alternative to BMW, Mercedes and Audi, not everyone has bitten the bullet yet, but those that have are no longer laughed at for choosing a Jag.
Appreciate 0