05-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #13
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffLittleUnit View Post
So are you able to just use the S5 directly or are you using ConnectedDrive?

Which version of Android are you using? In another thread I posted about my woes of upgrading to Lollipop and I had to regress to KitKat.
Depends what you mean by using the S5 directly. Can you be more specific with your question. What I can tell you is that I can stream music from it using the USB cable using the Audio Player interface in the car. However, there is no point because I have the same music on my car's HD.

As soon as I connect the phone to the USB in the centre console glovebox it switches itself on and then.....

There is the ability to use the following options in the BMW Connected App under Connection Assistant because they show up in the car: See note 2 below.

Connection Assistant

Audio Player - plays music stored on the phone. It is the same interface as you see normally in the car. In other words it is seen as another storage device with music on.
Wiki Local (with several sub options)
Calendar
News (with sub options)

Note 1.
The BMW Connected App when unplugged also shows Twitter, but there is no option in the car.

There is an option in the BMW Connected App called last mile (but does not show in the car).

Note 2.
When the phone is connected to the car with the USB cable, you do not see anything on the phone because it defaults to a logo and you run the Connection Assistant in the car. This makes sense to me, because the whole thing is operating as one.

Note 3.
When you unplug phone from USB, all options appear back on the phone in the BMW Connected App.

Note 4.
When the phone is connected, the Calendar option appears somewhere else in the car. Sorry not going down to double check.

Some of this is disjointed and out of sequence, because I have been to the car several times and modified this reply.

I have Lollipop loaded. I would suggest that if you have the latest car software installed then it would work. This is the area where BMW just cannot keep up with the pdf file information for every phone. It is all about suck and see if it works.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0