View Single Post
      05-29-2015, 06:50 AM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

I am unsure whether this applies to you guys (it is not the actual iDrive base software but the patches for Telephone and Media), but last week I went to my very large local dealer for a completely unrelated problem that they fixed. When I was sitting in my vehicle discussing the problem the BMW Tech said he had the latest updates on a USB stick in his pocket.

He plugged it in, and within around 2 minutes the car was updated to:

Telephone:TN-002.255.062
Media : MN-002.255.060

Here is the picture..

Only a few days earlier, when I had previously looked at the site and downloaded the appropriate updates they had not worked, because the files downloaded were not *.bin files. The files he had on the USB stick were *. bin files and are therefore readable by the car. Edited. Just tried a test download and the files now showing ARE *.bin files, so I can only assume BMW have rectified this problem.

Note 1. BMW UK and also in Germany are very poor at updating the site with regards to the giving information about the updates, because there are so many phones on the market with their own little idiosyncrasies . In fact it appears they are a long way behind. What I do know is that the Telephone update software is the latest Bluetooth software and was for ALL the current mobile phones by the main manufacturers when it was written.

Note 2. I would suggest that the latest software [Telephone] is common across most of the vehicles and not just the X3s, pre or post LCI, otherwise the BMW Tech would not have just pulled the USB stick out of his pocket and updated my car. If I had a an X5 or 3 series it would have most likely have worked the same. Mine is an X3 xDrive30d M Sport (63 plate).

Note 3. The BMW phone compatibility site shows the update to be only to SAMSUNG S4 whereas I have the S5 and playing of media works using a USB cable, although I do not need it because I have all music on my HD. It is also updated to Android version 5 [Lollipop].

Note 4. There appears to be around 2 updates every year.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 05-29-2015 at 10:54 AM..
Appreciate 0