08-02-2012, 03:21 AM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
This is an intensely personal decision. I can only relate my personal thoughts which may or may not chime with yours.

BTW, my last car was a 335i. The suspension was way too hard for comfort and fast driving on anything but good roads. I like firm setups but this was way too hard.

For the X3 my personal preference is:

1) Sport suspension
2) VDC
3) Standard (European) suspension

The standard suspension was not controlled enough if I enter a roundabout or corner fast.

Sport suspension is fine in this respect and in reality only a little firmer (not remotely like my 335i). BTW I have 18 inch wheels.

VDC is great in sport but I would very, very rarely use in in normal. The cost of VDC for me is therefore totally unjustifiable, hence it's my 2nd choice.

Standard suspension is my 3rd choice because I couldn't live with it.

I've moved from a sports car to the X3 so my perspective is different from someone else who may be moving from a dull handling 4x4 to the X3.
+1 Good points, well made. I think if I had VDC, I would have to always leave it in Sport which kind of defeats the object of paying to make it adjustable. And you can't make VDC default to Sport mode which would be annoying also. I drove a standard suspension X3 with 17s and it was too floaty, too disconnected - I opted for sports suspension and i much prefer it

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0