ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
So what...that is Holland!

We are the UK and one of the largest economies in the world. In fact we are now 4th/5th and still growing faster and we will not be dictated to by the EU bureaucrats. Hence the upcoming vote to leave if they (EU) do not stop their unelected bureaucratic diktat.

If it has not already got there, then it will soon be that the diesel engine will be just as clean as the petrol engine, and, given that diesel fuel has a higher calorific value (weight for weight) and hence more efficient, then you will find more not less diesel engines being introduced and built.

Here is proof of the introduction of BMW diesel engines in the USA and you know how paranoid they are about clean engines. Not gas guzzlers!

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...eoverride=true

Why you would ask? Cleaner and more efficient is the reason, just ask the manufacturers. It cannot be argued against no matter what your source of information. If you do find negative views, it is because of bigoted points of view from the vociferous minority.
Peter,

Peter,

I cannot disagree with you, but what concerns me is that there is a bigger global shift in views towards diesel. I know it is not quite the same, but leaded petrol fell under the same scrutiny due to neuro toxins as diesel is now due to NO and NO2. Until we are out of Europe, I think the same fate can befall us as Endre has stated in Holland.

I hope I am wrong, but I worry that diesel taxes will rise further (already higher than petrol tax) and that the value of our cars will fall as cleaner diesel and petrol engines are introduced.

Perhaps I am being a pessimist?

Ian
Appreciate 0