View Single Post
      07-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
elbertc
Philippines
Rep
Drives: f25 X3 20d, e87 120d bluefin

where to place your key fob

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere previously.

With BMW's new keyless system, there is no slot to place your key anywhere in the car while driving. It seems like the key is meant to be placed in your pocket at all times. I know that previous push-to-start BMWs without the slot in the dash had a little key rest in the center console, but that no longer is the case.

While I accept that keeping the key in the pocket is like a good idea, especially as a security precaution (i.e. car jacking), it's confusing for me because I still have my e87. Many times, I find myself either walking away from the e87 with the key still in the slot (thinking the key is in my pocket), or I hop into the F25 looking for the slot to place the key fob in.

Today, I found a solution without having to modify anything in my car, and I find it to work perfect to my liking and preference.

Simply slide the key in between two of the four spring loaded leaves in the cup holder. There are three positions in the left cup holder to chose from. Of course, this only works if you won't be using the cup holder for, er, cups.

I'm pretty certain this will work in other current BMWs. I hope this helps those seeking an old-school solution, especially those who aren't comfortable with the idea of having the key in the pocket at all times. Feel free to pass the info on.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0