View Single Post
      09-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

I think in general it's just a a piece of mind thing. Most 50/50 mixes you find on store shelves is diluted with distilled. If you think about it, it's safe for manufacturers and coolant vendors to say used distilled because distilled water is a constant. If they just say water you'd have folks putting in everything from muddy river water to salty sea water to you name it.

However some folks that use well water for example can attest to the damage that mineral deposits can make (namely calcium and lime). Just have look at their plumbing after some time and plaque will build up in the pipes and joints when regular well water is ran through it daily.

But I agree, if you're just topping off any clean water would suffice. If I was doing a complete coolant flush and change I'd certainly spend the $1 per gallon of distilled. We had distilled water sitting around and seeing that this is what manufacturers (of both vehicles and antifreeze) recommend that's what was used.

Also agree that BMW antifreeze is not pre-mixed, I mispoke above. When you buy the antifreeze it's just that and no distilled water has been added. That is something that has to happen prior to adding to your vehicle. Again if you're just topping off a couple ounces either or is suffice, if you're doing a complete fluid flush you'll have to mix yourself.

Last edited by n55x3; 09-12-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0