05-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbroke View Post
Took delivery of new X3 in December and within a few weeks noticed a knocking sound coming from the drivers side front end when driving on or off the drive.

I took it to the dealership where it was diagnosed has having a faulty steering rack. A new steering rack was fitted and everything was fine. A few weeks later the same knocking sound was back.

As before I took it to the dealership and the same problem was diagnosed. It needed a new steering rack. A new steering rack was fitted. Four days ago the knocking sound returned and after diagnosis it turns out to be a faulty steering rack.

This vehicle has less than 3700 miles on the clock.

When I first heard the knocking noise I was putting it down to the vehicle being new, creaky plastic or not enough water in the windscreen washer bottle.

The dealership has been great. The service I have received has been second to none. Customer Services at BMW UK do not want take responsibility and have got slopey shoulders.

You should push to get the car repalced. I had some dodgy paintwork on the inside edge of the driver's door and the pillar that it met against. It was repainted under warranty. When the DAB radio packed up and wasn't fixed until the 4th visit to the dealer, I demanded a replacement car. BMW agreed and my new 35D is due to be built in June.
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0