View Single Post
      10-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

I did a quick spot check on the Pirelli P7 RFTs on the red X3. I only checked at (2) radial positions (across the tread) on each tire. At almost 6000 miles I see an average of 0.275 depth remaining on the fronts and 0.290 on the rears. The P7's have a "rated" original depth of 0.3125 (10/32) so the wear is 0.0375 (F) and 0.0225 (R). That's for 90% suburban driving with a large amount of cornering, mostly with 2 people in the vehicle and mostly with no additional load in the back.

It's interesting that you're seeing pretty even F/R average wear, while it looks like I'm seeing more relative wear at the fronts. I guess it reflects the difference in the amount of city/highway use of the cars.

Since in most "regular" driving, the X3 is essentially a rear wheel drive vehicle, I would not have been surprised to see more rear tire wear, but it seems the AWD system prevents any significant rear wheel spinning, so the fronts get the most wear in city driving.

I'm definitely a fan of regular tire rotation for all the reasons you've stated.
Appreciate 0