View Single Post
      04-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #48
Dobs
Rep
Drives: F25 xdrive20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
In that case it's highly probable that the optional M-tech suspension (std w/M-pkg) for the new X3 is good enough as a substitute for VDC as they share all components apart from the dampers.
As VDC only allows 2 damping settings (normal & sport), it's likely the M suspension uses damping rates that are similar to what sport setting is on the VDC. So far, all we know is there's not much difference between normal & sport with VDC, so we can assume the M suspension will not affect ride quality that much as it's just=VDC set permanently to sport setting.
Btw, if u order M suspension then it comes with "Performance Control", which is sort of like a e-lsd.
There seems to a lot of nonsense written here. Reference an earlier thread that explains the difference between normal, sport and sport + (yes three settings not two with VDC) and fixed dampers. Unfortunaltely not tested both VDC and fixed (dynamic pack or normal) back to back but can confirm the following.

VDC Normal gives a magic carpet ride, great on Motorway and good for general punting around most roads. Sport sharpend up the dampers and/or gearbox (configurable in idrive - I select only chassis to kep economical gearbox settings) and makes a good diffrence on country lanes or where there a lots of roundabouts, downside is feeling the hiogh frequecy patter on motorway expansion joints. Sport plus (not configurable), holds higher revs (put it into tiptronic to get around this) and controls body movement really well on twisty B roads. I do find that I change between Normal and Sport quite a lot. A toy yes, but a good one (bit like most other options - if you can't find your way around the UK without sat nav then be ashamed - nice toy though and I wouldn't mine it if I had £2.5k to burn).
Appreciate 0