Stephen5242
Canada EH!
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Hi Stephen,

When you say "there is a lot more competition with some nicer features out there"

What make and models do your refer to? Cadillac? Toyota?

I am in the market for a smaller SUV to replace the family car, guess I need to wait till February and check it out at the International Auto Show in Toronto.
Well, I don't plan on purchasing for another year or so, but I like the technologies that Ford has come out with, with the Ford mytouch developed by Microsoft. I am a tech geek and like as much as I can get for the money.

On the luxury side I just looked at the new Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC). New territory for me as I am not sure about reliability etc. but again I will keep an eye on it over the next year or so and follow the reviews. I have had serious problems with my last E39 540 as well, and history shows over the past 10 years that BMW and Mercedes have had serious reliability problems as well. I love my 335i and would love the same performance in a mid size suv but not sure the x3 is worth 64K. But there is comfort in the similarity between the X3 and the 335i. If it came loaded for under $50K the decision would be a lot easier.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and Overland models come standard with Nappa leather, reclining rear seats, heated seats front and back, heated steering wheel, ventilated front seats and comfort access. The NAV is a $500 upgrade and not a $2,000 upgrade. The Overland model has real wood, a leather dash, piping on the seats and leather on the doors. The Limited model can be had for about 45K to 50K and the Overland can be had for about 50K to 55K Canadian (still a lot more than in the US). The Overland also has air suspension and both models have select-terrain for different road and off road conditions. Again this is from a restructured Chrysler and I would give it a year or so to see if it is really as good as it looks.

I have never owned a North American auto, always Japanese until my last two cars which were a 98 540i and my 08 335i. As much as I love my 335i am struggling with the 33% to 50% premium in owning a German auto. I never thought the quality was there with North American autos but I like what I have been seeing coming from Ford the past year and if Chrysler can give the JGC a decent highway ride and reliability, as they have really upgraded the interior with this new model, then I will seriously look their way next year. It looks like Chrysler has targeted LandRover with the new Grand Cherokee.

Still undecided and still looking for the best value for my dollar.

Last edited by Stephen5242; 11-07-2010 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0