View Single Post
      06-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #12
LFC
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalopop View Post
The 2011 x3 is a great car, with a couple problems. Its like a the best burger u've ever had..exept with a cold piece of cheese and stale paddies.

First, the electronic steering wheel. This just completely spoils the driving experience, my 335i hydraulic steering wheel was 1000x better..I am NOT feeling the joy of driving... I rather play with my Wii controller, because that's what it feels like. It takes out the experience from driving, and really gets on my nerves everytime I drive the car out.

Second, the new n55 engine. It sounds like a grandma coughing. My old n54 engine had a strong, solid growl. But even on cold start, the n55 rattles, and sounds like a lawn mower. There is also a steady rumbling sound that definitely doesnt sound like a healthy engine. I dont know how much better, the n55 is compared to the n54 if it is, but the sound is just dissapointing.

All of you new x3 owners out there..do you notice the same problems or have any opinions on this?

My 28i engine sounds horrible to me at idle. It sounds like a diesel engine, and i'm still wondering if maybe i have a defective one. I had some worries because my production video never showed my car being driven off the factory floor (camera was unavailable). I actually don't mind the steering (i have the variable steering) and my previous car was an 2002 M3 which had great a steering feel. I love how the car handles despite the not so great look (compared to the X5 and the audi Q5). I've also been enjoying the premium sound and can definitely notice the difference in my iphone songs (encoded between 128k and 256k) and the HD radio vs normal FM. Lastly, top view with parking assist is a great feature that i've already used more than 15 times in 3 days making sure that I know where my vehicle is between the lines or how close to the curb I am so I don't curb my rims.
Appreciate 0