Thread: F25 Winter Tire
View Single Post
      12-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #105
wendellg85
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i, 2015 X5

All-season vs. winter tires?

New x3 35i M sport pkg is due to arrive in a week or so and am trying to decide what to do about tires given it will be January. Consensus seems to be that the OEM Goodyear LS2's are awful so am feeling the need to switch for better. Would prefer to stick with all-seasons if possible since this is a 3 yr lease and therefore don't want to buy multiple sets of rims/tires, plus not sure I need dedicated winter tires anyway as we generally don't get very deep snow here in Philadelphia, couple inches at most, or more often it is slush or very conditions. Another reason I shy away from winter tires is have heard they don't last as long if temps are too warm and our daytime temps are often 40-50 even through most of winter.

First BMW so have nothing to compare to, but current ride (FX35) has all season Yokohamas and have been pleased with their performance in bad weather.

Anyone living in similar climate have any advice based on thier experience?

Have daily commute of 1 hour on very congested roads so safety is of importance. Handling is important to me too (it must be if I'm getting a BMW!) but this is an SAV after all, and my last 5 cars have been SUVs so I'm not expecting true sports car handling. I know many favor winter tires, but given my situation I think all-season will be ok. Yea or nea?

Looking at maybe Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus, Michelin Primacy MXM4, maybe the Yokohamas I have now, any others?
Appreciate 0