View Single Post
      04-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #49
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobs View Post
There seems to a lot of nonsense written here. Reference an earlier thread that explains the difference between normal, sport and sport + (yes three settings not two with VDC) and fixed dampers. Unfortunaltely not tested both VDC and fixed (dynamic pack or normal) back to back but can confirm the following.

VDC Normal gives a magic carpet ride, great on Motorway and good for general punting around most roads. Sport sharpend up the dampers and/or gearbox (configurable in idrive - I select only chassis to kep economical gearbox settings) and makes a good diffrence on country lanes or where there a lots of roundabouts, downside is feeling the hiogh frequecy patter on motorway expansion joints. Sport plus (not configurable), holds higher revs (put it into tiptronic to get around this) and controls body movement really well on twisty B roads. I do find that I change between Normal and Sport quite a lot. A toy yes, but a good one (bit like most other options - if you can't find your way around the UK without sat nav then be ashamed - nice toy though and I wouldn't mine it if I had £2.5k to burn).
VDC only have 2 settings (normal & sport), it's both mentioned in one of the threads here as well as in the owner's handbook (page 88).
The customisation of throttle/steering/dampers (if VDC is fitted) settings have nothing to do with VDC - it's with the Driver Dynamic Control (i.e. the Sport/Normal switch). DDC comes as standard if u specify either a.)Sport Auto gearbox, b.) VDC or c.) Variable Sports Steering (not sports steering wheel). So if u optioned sport auto then u can configure the combination of steering setting & throttle setting, but not dampers. Dampers can be customised only if the car comes with VDC. Sport+ setting is there as long as DDC is fitted, VDC is not a prerequisite. The main difference between Sport+ & Sport is Sport+ switches off DSC, leaving only DTC on (as well as other throttle/steering mapping changes, but not change in damper settings).
From the parts catalogue, VDC & M-tech suspension uses the same springs & front+rear anti-roll bars - the only difference is the dampers. Referencing an earlier poster saying he/she didn't feel much difference between normal & sports setting regarding VDC (not DDC), then M-tech suspension offers much better vfm as it handles the same as VDC in sport yet ride quality does not deteriorate much.
Again, referencing an earlier poster, this system does not involve air-springs & ARS & so it's capabilities are limited as both spring & rollbar rates are fixed in relation to the dampers.
Appreciate 0