07-31-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
cSurf: Thanks for valuable INFO. I buy most of that, but:
-we are not talking first generation EPS, and even when I quit SAAB in 2005, we had test cars with EPS AND good steering precision.
-even run flats are "old" technology - at least not first generation. And we are talking 20" Pirelli performance tires - not shitty all seasons. Weight reduction is one reason but my understanding is that run flats was forced upon the rest of the world by people in the US being scared of a flat tire in hostile territory. In Sweden only BMW is pushing for run flats.

I will get my X4 within a week or two - then truth will be revealed.

Your wifes X3:
-ever driven it?
-tires?
-steering precision?
We always run dedicated summer/winter tires. On the X3, we're currently running the OEM staggered 19" 622Ms with Continental ContiSportContact 3 SSRs. Don't get me wrong- for a car in this class, at this price, it's the best I've driven (I haven't driven the Macaan, so that may change).

That said, and while I've never driven a SAAB (or been under the impression that FWD SAABs had particularly communicative steering), the EPS on the F25 has far less 'steering feel' than any of my other RWD BMW's E9x (335i PE and M3 w/ competition package) and E46 (325i).

And yes, this EPS system is definitively first generation... sure, there were bench/mule iterations, but the F25 was one of (and depending on where you are in the world, THE) first use[s] of EPS in a production BMW. I wasn't referring to the RFTs, which are considerably improved in generations 3-4.

The 310Ms are great... but even if you put a $5000 set of BBS FIs w/ Pilot Cup tires on, you can't overcome the inherent communication issues with the existing EPS system. As an analogy, you could have the best sound system in the world, but if you're depending on AM radio transmission for content... simply turning up the volume doesn't improve the quality.

Again, I'm not trying to disparage your purchase- but I would caution you to keep an open mind about the whole package/have reasonable exceptions in light of the compromises BMW had to make.
Appreciate 0