07-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #13
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lliang
I used lens cleaner on the nav screen of my 535i to remove the figure prints and dirty spots, guess what, I completely removed the anti-glare coating near the bottom and right edge, and the portions are so glaring that I could not read the screen anymore under direct sun. I was very mad to myself and also pissed with the quality of the coating from BMW. I used lens cleaner on my TV screen with no problem, and also fine on my phone.

Thank for sharing the info about the protector trick, and I just ordered one online from Lexerd.

Please share your experience in applying it. I don't want to screw it up again, and I assume when it's applied, you can not remove it and reposition it again.

Thank you,
Larry
I went with the Lexerd option as mentioned above. First i carefully trimmed it to exact size witout removing the protective coating (wonder why it was a tad too big in the first place) After vacuuming the surrounding area I cleaned the screen carefully with LCD cleaner (the "gel" type) and wiped gently with a soft cotton cloth.

The last preparation was to cover the screen entirely with Scotch tape (use genuine Scotch and not another too sticky tape) which was then peeled off to remove all dust residue. It's extremely important to remove absolutely all dust.

Finally I applied the screen protector wearing medical rubber gloves (the type without talc) to make sure there would be no finger marks, utilizing a discarded credit card to carefully remove air bubbles during application as per Lexerd's instructions.

Almost one year later the solution still works fine. Not as "non-glare" as the original coating but acceptable to me at least.

It is actually possible to remove the protector for re-positioning (wear rubber gloves as mentioned) but the best result is achieved by getting it right the first time. I screwed it up at my first attempt but had bought two screen protectors while I were at it and the second attempt worked out just fine.
Appreciate 0