View Single Post
      03-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #54
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filski View Post
The Evoque has a shorter wheel base by some margin, combined with an equal clearance or ride height. These combine to give the Evoque a 15% greater ramp over angle compared to the X3, approach and departure angles are similarly improved meaning that purely from the ability to clear obstacles the evoque is better to handle offroad conditions.

Both cars can ensure that power is delivered to the wheel with the most grip, most cars can these days. The X3 is targeted at trying to deliver drive evenly split between front and rear at all times - great for onroad driving. The Evoque has a terrain response system that changes throttle and transmission response depending on the surface for example allowing the engine to hold more revs at a lower speed - something the X3 simply cannot do. This is why the Evoque has a clear lead in offroad ability and CAN go offroad decently.
I'll give you the fact the Evoque has slightly better overhang figures for approach and departure angles. A 15% brake over angle advantage isn't much, but it is better.

The rest of the terrain response system is just good marketing. Changes to throttle and transmission response mappings are nice, but certainly not essential for proper throttle control. Personally, I like the my throttle response to remain the same no matter what the driving conditions are, because I've grown accustomed to how the vehicle responds based on throttle input. If you like the electronics, then the Evoque probably is better for you, but to say the X3 simply cannot hold revs at a lower speed is wrong. In the X3, you just select the gear you want to be in and you left foot brake, something that should be second nature to anyone who's done any driving offroad.

Either way, one of them is going to appeal to you more then the other, so go with what you like.
Appreciate 0