01-15-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
High mileage owners?

I just bought a 2012 XDrive 2.0i with 52k miles, have had it for about two weeks. I was hoping to get some thoughts on potential maintenance issues from those who have high-mileage X3s.

(I'll state figures in miles even though we measure in kilometres in South Africa, seeing as most people here are in that frame of mind...)

In SA, all BMWs are sold with a 5yr/100k km motorplan, which covers literally everything but tyres and fuel, so it's still covered for about 9500mi. It's intended primarily as a weekend trip vehicle with a few short trips during the week, I only do 9000-10000mi annually. My plan is to drive it until about 95000mi.

Two points:

1) During my remaining motorplan period, I'm entitled to complain about pretty much anything that would usually fall under warranty, over and above all services. I'm planning to identify and sort out as many niggles as I can during this period, so am paying very close attention to every single sound/vibration/rattle I can detect. What would really help is getting input from those of you with high-mileage examples on what to look out far in terms of problems you've had sorted. Actually, any input on symptoms of underlying issues would also be appreciated.

So far, I have the following on my list:
- White smoke on cold start after the car has been standing overnight, more smoke the longer it's been standing.
- I can feel a clunk in the steering when stationary and wiggling it around.
- When the steering is in full left position and driving down textured car park ramps, I can hear substantial rattles coming from the direction of the right front wheel. Could be above the wheel and somewhere in the steering column as well (RHD), but not sure. Sounds like hard plastic rattling, not metallic.

The first two points seem to be known issues (from browsing these forums).

2) Anyone have real-world experience with maintenance costs and typical issues above 60000mi? From the motorplan history, the car's had 2x brake pad replacements (both front and rear) so far, so expecting rears to need replacement soon.
Appreciate 0