10-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #39
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
I don't understand this statement at all. Are you really naive enough to believe the "german engineering" dogma... I wouldn't doubt that it is possible for some regions / locations to have better quality control or engineering but without any quantitative evidence of this it seems baseless.

The quality of a product seems far more related to the quality policy of the company than its location of manufacturing...
I just had two cars delivered three months apart. The 1M from East Germany is as good as the two 1er we had if not better. The X3 quality standard is lower than my previous five BMWs. I am talking about the details, like the seals, how flush the trims and dash are fitted together, the stitching on the seat, the paint inside the boot lit and doors etc. The Munich 3er is still the best of the lot.

All the X5s that I had been in doesn't seem to have the problems of the X3, either my friends, or the numerous ones I test drove.

I think the location where it manufactured has got a lot to do with these difference in quality. However, the location is really secondary to whoever manages the QC of that plant, or that section of the plant.
Appreciate 0