pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Howdy all. I'm having similar problems with my 2011 X3 28i. (Hey Marty in NY! Thanks again for your help with the transfer case/wheel speed sensor.)
  • Bought the car in July. Don't know when the last oil change was.
  • No check oil light on the main instrument panel.
  • iDrive screen shows "measurement inactive. Have this checked" for the oil level. When I click over to the right for more information I get a "service oil" message but it says I have 1300 miles to go for it... and the date is wrong (08/2021).
  • Foxwell NT-510 shows no codes for the oil level sensor.
  • BUT, Foxwell DOES show a code for "BSD data bus communications fault (CD9304)". True to form, my water pump runs for a few minutes after turning off the car, and one of the components on this bus (the oil sensor?) seems to be acting up. Just to be sure, I followed the unplugging/scanning process recommended here to try and diagnose it but unplugging the oil level sensor didn't clear the code.

Among the four/five big components on this bus, the oil sensor seems to be the only one that's acting up... BUT when I unplug it in this diagnostic process, I still get the error code, where the blog post suggests that the code should go away if it's faulty once I unplug it.

So, I dunno. I have no obvious problems with the water pump (just running after I turn the car off... no overheating), the alternator (no charging issues) or the IBS, as far as I can tell. I DO have problems getting a reading on my oil level. The iDrive says as much. But the Foxwell shows no specific oil level sensor fault. And the diagnostic procedure from the blog doesn't single out the oil level sensor as the cause of the BSD data bus communications fault.

Any thoughts? Is this just an obvious problem with an obvious solution - change the oil level sensor? Is the CD9304 fault and the proposed diagnostic a red herring??
Have you used ista+ to diagnose it? If not, I would suggesting trying it since it may have diagnostics the Foxwell doesn't have?
Appreciate 0