09-09-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I've come 15 years of driving M cars right up to my last one which as you was the 9x M3 Coupe. I had the same concerns as you, and once I drove the X3 loved it. At the time of ordering mine there was only a 2.0D engine, which I ordered, but during the wait the 3.0MSport came out, so I changed my order to that, because as you point out, on paper the performance (especially with the 3.5) isn't that far off the M3 numbers.

I think it depends how you are coming from your M3, if you are a loon who hoons it around the twistys and driving it to its limit, which I think fairly few people actually do unless they track it, then you are not going to find the same performance.

I spent the first few months getting used it, trying to sports mode and playing with the suspension settings, and finally I started to drive in Sports Plus mode.

Now, which it is not an M car in any shape or form, the one thing I rarely miss is the performance, the X3 in 3.0+ shape is fast, especially when you are in S+ mode. It handles corners very well indeed, BUT it will never handle corners anywhere like as solidly as your M3 does, but that is a trade off for going for the X3.

Its a hell of a lot more comfortable, it has heaps more space, is heaps more practical, is far far cheaper to run, and for the most part I get the same performance based on how I used to drive the M3 when I am in a sporty mood.

The ONLY time I have missed my M3, is when I've been stuck behind a line of cars (3+) with a clear space and I knew that without doubt flooring the M3 would nip past those. That said, I have surprised myself when I've passed 3 cars in the X3 and it has handled it very well indeed.

Having never driven the X5M or X6M I cannot comment on how they handle things, but for their price, it is ridiculously high, and the fuel performance on them sucks in my view. Also, the are easily higher up the 'steal me' list of cars, and with the recent issues around the OBC thefts, are on the rise. Don't me wrong, I would have loved to have got an X6M, but no way I was spending 80k, and then getting back to the being worried it would be stolen.

Having the X3 has been a delight, it is saving me a fortune, it gets me round in the snow, I can load so much more in the back, people sit in the back with comfort and state how nice the ride is, it has all the same toys you could want and costs a far lot less to buy.

So.. in summary, it really depends how you drive your M3, and how much you will miss the total thrill (and sound) of that fine car.

I don't think you will miss your M3 one bit.. I would recommend you ask your dealer to borrow an X3 for a day or a weekend and get some quality time with it and then make a decision, thats what I did.
Appreciate 0