View Single Post
      02-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #63
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Bimmer View Post
So, after driving the car for a while, it remains very quiet. I spoke with the service manager about the changes that were made. They did not replace any parts. They checked and tightened all fasteners in the engine bay around the cowling below the windshield. They applied some teflon 'anti-squeak' tape to the contact areas. Inside the car, they applied the same to the front speaker grille and 'some other contact areas'. No part numbers or service bulletins were listed on the work order. The car has been dead quiet since, so I hope it stays that way! Sorry, guys, I wish a had a more absolute fix that I could describe so you could ask your dealers to do the same fix. The adjustments to the cowling seem to be the best approach and the service manager said they've had "a lot of issues" with this part of the car.

Unrelated service items were a Nav map update and a software update. I haven't noticed any changes in the car's performance or changes to the Nav. The auto stop/start seems to start the car without the 'shudder' others have mentioned, which is a change, but I hardly use that feature anyway. I had a very nice 5-series loaner for a couple of days, but I couldn't wait to get back into my X3!

Thanks. This confirms what I was thinking - I've had the most luck taking out the screws and redoing everything (but it generally only lasts a few days). Unfortunately I now have a torx bit living somewhere in my compartment because of this, but it helps...

My dealer claims they don't hear it and that they've never heard of the issue, so you're fortunate that yours acknowledges the noise. Of course, I'm also having a time getting them to acknowledge the window tapping that BMW doesn't seem to know how to NOT engineer out of its cars. Maybe BMW will issue a TSB at some point and I'll have something I can point to. Then again, I'm seeing more and more F25 X3s on the road here these days so perhaps with volume they will get a few more hits on this & more experience trying to solve it.

Really like the car and generally like my dealer, but I wish they would work/try a little harder like some of the dealers reflected in this thread. I fear we are producing more and more parts changers and less mechanics.