02-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #62
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Bimmer View Post
Dealer just called. The car is in the programming bay getting a map and software update. Why does this take so long? It is 2013 for goodness sake! I'm pretty sure that computers are fast enough now to do this more efficiently.

Anyway, they said they 'put teflon on some seals' and the noise has gone away. I was hoping for a more definitive fix like "we found this wire rubbing against this other wire" or something like that. Time will tell and I'll give a full report after driving the car for a bit.

This is a good shop and they do quality work, so I hope this takes care of things.
So, after driving the car for a while, it remains very quiet. I spoke with the service manager about the changes that were made. They did not replace any parts. They checked and tightened all fasteners in the engine bay around the cowling below the windshield. They applied some teflon 'anti-squeak' tape to the contact areas. Inside the car, they applied the same to the front speaker grille and 'some other contact areas'. No part numbers or service bulletins were listed on the work order. The car has been dead quiet since, so I hope it stays that way! Sorry, guys, I wish a had a more absolute fix that I could describe so you could ask your dealers to do the same fix. The adjustments to the cowling seem to be the best approach and the service manager said they've had "a lot of issues" with this part of the car.

Unrelated service items were a Nav map update and a software update. I haven't noticed any changes in the car's performance or changes to the Nav. The auto stop/start seems to start the car without the 'shudder' others have mentioned, which is a change, but I hardly use that feature anyway. I had a very nice 5-series loaner for a couple of days, but I couldn't wait to get back into my X3!

Last edited by 3Bimmer; 02-18-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0