View Single Post
      04-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #3
goals92
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Reading these two reviews - one from the UK, the second from the US - prompts me to ask a question about the 20d/28d engine in the LCI X3. I had always assumed that the 28d engine as used in US/Can spec X3, and the 20d engine as used in other markets in the LCI X3 were the same engine. But are they?

From my reading elsewhere the 20d engine in the LCI X3 is the first application of a new family of BMW diesels where it has been give the BMW engine designation of B47, replacing the N47 engine that has ben around since 2007. As the UK article points out, this has boosted the power of the new engine by 8 bhp (or 5kW) and 20 Nm to 188 bhp/400Nm. However I notice the spec of the 28d engine as used in the US/Canadian X3s is only rated at 180 hp/280lb-ft - which just happens to be the spec of the old superseded N47 engine.

So my question is whether anyone can confirm the BMW engine designations of the 20d and 28d engines as used in the LCI X3?

Tony
There are two things going on. For one, mainland Europe uses the metric HP, which gives you numbers slightly higher than ours. So 180 hp in the US is 183 hp in Europe. The second thing is that European measurements for hp are different from ours. They tend to list higher in Europe because their standards are looser. You'll notice the EPA fuel economy figures differ from European and Canadian numbers as well; they use a procedure that would be ridiculous for US driving, featuring very non-US habits like not using air conditioning and no hard acceleration, among other things. Check out the fuel economy ratings for the X3 20d in Europe - it hits 47 mpg (US) on the highway, and will not come close to that here on the EPA cycle.

They do sometimes retune engines for other markets, but this is the same engine used in the 328d, which is the same engine in the 320d.
Appreciate 0