View Single Post
      05-14-2012, 05:52 AM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

US vs. UK Delivery Lead Times

I asked BMW UK to explain why a US customer can order a car and get a turn around in a matter of weeks.

This was their answer:

"I have been liaising directly with our Dealer Planning Department and now able to address your query regarding the US Market receiving the orders of their BMW X3 in a shorter time period to our UK Customers.

Firstly, the American market is very different to the market in the UK. The US rarely receive any orders for a specified vehicle order, the majority of cars are built to stock. This means that a customer can receive their vehicle very quickly from a pool of stock vehicles available. This does not happen in the UK as the BMW X3 is sold with specified customer orders, we are not building any stock vehicles and dealers only have limited numbers of demonstrators available. This is a massive difference between the two markets, the US market generally do not build cars to a customer specification, the customer chooses a car which is already built.

If a US customer does want a build to order car, we have been informed by BMW USA that there is approximately a 8 week lead time from order to delivery. This is quicker than the UK market, but there is a much shorter delivery time involved."

Correct me if I am wrong, but every person in the US here seems to be making custom orders?

Has anyone ordered a car and had it delivered from "stock"?
Appreciate 0