06-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
My experience using the USB flash drive to transfer music to the HD... The car MUST be on during the duration of the transfer. If you turn your car off at any point, the transfer will stop. (Off as in everything off, not just stopping the engine.) You will not be able to "continue" - you'll have a partial transfer and have to start all over again.

I have to imagine going the other way around will be the same.

I also have about 12% free - about 1300 songs - all around 192k-320k sampling rate - and the transfer from USB to HD takes about 45 minutes. I know because I do it a lot unfortunately because I am always adding stuff to my HD and I don't want to have multiple folders for each time I upload from a USB.

What I do is I rip everything at my home computer to my USB stick and that is my basis for the HD. Then I transfer to the HD. Everytime I make a change to the stick, I delete my car HD collection and reupload.

The car isn't smart enough to only upload what is new. Grrr...

Hope this helps.
Thanks JSY. That does help. I'm approaching the end of my CD's and now have just less than 10% free. I would think it would be equal timewise to go from HD to USB so with that said, I'll plan on doing my backup on a trip longer than an hour. That seems like it should do it. I plan on using another USB stick in the center console for alot of other music as well. Between that, music on the HD, XM, FM HD, and Pandora/MOG (in the future) I think I'll have enough choices. One oddity though....sometimes when I switch from radio to CD/multimedia on either the controls next to the iDrive or just using the back button, the "cursor" goes deep into the albums stored on the HD (always the same one). It looks like it's the 100th CD. So I have to scroll all the way back to the top to do a search or select current playback. Very strange. Have you seen this on yours at all?
Appreciate 0