View Single Post
      12-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #216
litt
Private
Rep
Drives: Raptor, Macan S, M5C

Just my personal experience but this is why I did NOT order BMW apps. My wife has a 2011 mini and an iPhone 4. When we ordered it, we ordered the mini connected (which is similar to the BMW apps and probably just a derivative of the same software). To take full advantage of the interface, Mini requires you to buy the snap in adapter. The problem was, there was no adapter for the iPhone 4 at the time (eventhough the iPhone 4 had been out for a year). As such, the functionality was very limited and really not much different than the regular interface (pandora was the only good thing about it). BMW/Mini has been very slow to update any of the software, if at all. The interface is a bit buggy and not really user friendly (just a lot of little things that really could be improved, but I am a software developer so these smalls things may bother me more than others). Now add on top of this new iPhones coming out in conjunction with the typical cell phone life of 2 years at the most, and I see this as a never ending venture for BMW and constant compatibility headaches for the end user. Apple certainly gives no guarantees to not change their interface and remain compatible with what BMW puts out. Anyway, just my personal opinion and my experience. I realize it may be different for others.

What would be nice, is if BMW put out a SDK and let users develop their own apps. Then I could see this catching on.
Appreciate 0