View Single Post
      06-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #57
jmedarts
Enginerd
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 Xdrive 35i

Thanks & Tips

ReturnnZero - THANK YOU! Fantastic how-to thread. Well done!

To others attempting: not a hard job, took me about a half hour.

Start with the correct tools, the torx set I use for fixing PC's and Ipads was no good. Luckily I had a Husky bit driver tool with the bits in the handle, this was the way to go. Much more leverage. Also tried out my new magnetized parts tray, I forgot the magnet also works to keep the screws fixed to the tray and grouped together for re-assembly! Much easier than trying to find them on the seat or in a plastic cup.

Lots of light. My hanging shop light came in through the window and hung off the visor. Supplemented by a small flashlight for getting at that snap tie and the power connectors.

Removing the cigarette lighter - I was tossing the orignal tray, so I just used an awl to push out those two side lock tabs shown in the pic by poking in through the rear sides of the lighter. Comes right out after that.

I ordered the new tray from BMW mini parts store, p/n 51-16-9-184-500. It did not require any Dremel work, but once it's in it sure does not feel like it's coming out again without breaking some of the tabs! A much tighter/firmer fit than the original phone/tray. My USB/Aux fitment wasn't quite seated 100% properly when I popped the tray in and now it never will be. Be sure those things are in to your satisfaction before you pop the tray in.

100% happy with my much more usable center bin!
Appreciate 0