View Single Post
      10-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #75
w3rkn
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Hate to pick on you, but this is exactly why people like Mako get aggravated with the "real M" stuff. Whether or not a vehicle is or isn't a "real M" is a matter of manufacture, not opinion. I would respectfully ask that everyone stop using that language in the interest of developing a more nuanced discourse. Everything you said could be restated without that phrasing, and it instantly becomes less of a hot button issue.

To further pick a fight where I said I didn't want to lol I take issue with the entire stance. The XNM vehicles are to standard SUVs what MN cars are to standard cars. What does M stand for? If we trace it back to the very beginning, M took a standard road car and make it in to a superstar. Could the same not be said for the X5M and X6M? They're not real M cars because they're not cars at all, but they are still M made. They both get suspensions developed specifically for the M models, and they both get M engines. They're still SUVs, but they've been given the proper M treatment.

Every seems to take issue with the fact that they're SUVs, but that's a baseless stance from which to make an argument. Ever heard of the European Truck Racing Championships? Enthusiasm for all things automobile knows no boundaries. I have no desire to own a racing semi, or any semi for that matter, but I'm sure Volvo enthusiasts don't begrudge Volvo for making racing semis.

What "makes something M", is what "M makes". If M makes very special SUVs, then very special SUVs are real M. There's far more to be concerned about with regard to the dilution of M's values than the fact that they chose to make class-leading performance SUVs.

Your post are hilarious^

There is no real M-cars anymore, there is no M-division anymore. And ///M... use to stand for Motorsports... and now BMW uses it on their SUV's because of people like you... gullible. Whom believe that "sportiness" comes in a moniker & not from groundwork engineering from special people who are motorsports engineers.

To your point, BMW could easily just use "S" to distinguish trim levels, but instead dilutes and bastardizes their M-brand until it is watered down and meaningless. (135is, is now a M235i... lol)

Nothing you say will change BMW's excessive greed & marketing, it is what we have been complaining about for the last 10 years. Why so many people are now looking at other brands. BMW has not stayed true to themselves, or their long time followers. BMW caters to people who didn't even know they were going to buy a BMW last year...

As it stand, BMW M means nothing except another level of trim. Period!
Appreciate 0