Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie F10M
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
M5 shares its power plant with the X5M (and is closely related to the X5 50i and 550i/650i). Those seem to sell well.

I don't think you're actually upset that a largely series/production engine is being utilized in the X4M (it makes sense); but rather, that the M2 won't be equipped with a proper M engine (with what that even means, at this point, being a question unto itself).

Me personally- I bet it's a fine power plant, one that will suit both uses well.

The M2 chassis is what should really shine.
M5 and the X5M do NOT share the same powerplant. The M5 uses the TU powerplant. Significantly reworked.
I hear you- and objectively, it's an incredible power plant. As series engines have improved, M has certainly had less wood to chop when packaging M cars... Nevertheless- I view the S63 and S55 differently than the S85, S65, S54, etc. The later three (and their predecessors, NA E36 not withstanding) were designed and built from the ground up by M while their successors (S55/63) were modified (albeit highly) by M.

And before I get flamed out of existence- if you look at the context of that quote, you'll note that I was highlighting the fact that there's no shortage of demand for M cars with modified series engines (because they're very good).
Appreciate 0