Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland
Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf View Post
M5 shares its power plant with the X5M (and is closely related to the X5 50i and 550i/650i). Those seem to sell well.

I don't think you're actually upset that a largely series/production engine is being utilized in the X4M (it makes sense); but rather, that the M2 won't be equipped with a proper M engine (with what that even means, at this point, being a question unto itself).

Me personally- I bet it's a fine power plant, one that will suit both uses well.

The M2 chassis is what should really shine.
That bolded section really gets to the point, and is exactly why I think M has to deliver with the M2 in a big way. I'm repeating myself, but the 1M got a pass because it was such a fantastically fun car to drive. There's a very real risk that the M2 will suffer from the same numbness as other recent M models. I hope BMW figures this out before they deliver the car.

The whole "real M engine" conversation is very frustrating to me. On one side, you've got people shouting down anyone who complains that the N55B30T0 isn't a real M engine. The argument seems to be: "if the performance is there, why complain?" Well, because there is more to a great car than performance.

Back when I drove a MkV GTI, a Nissan Altima V6 had better 0-60 performance. Does that make the Nissan Altima equivalent to a GTI? Hell no! Not if you're a car enthusiast. The experience of driving the GTI was worlds apart from an Altima. Granted, the things that differentiated the GTI from the rest of the automotive world were far fewer than the things that differentiate an M-car from the rest of the pack, but it was that short list of things that made all the difference.

The M2 has one fewer things on its list of differentiating factors. Is that the end of the world? No, of course not. I hope I'm not coming across to breathlessly desperate over that fact. The M2 is still very high on my list of cars that could replace my current M, but I will still lament the absence of the S65 in my life. Sorry of that sounds a little to melodramatic, but that's how I feel about cars. Every time I start my car, I leave the door open so I can hear it. It's that experience that drove me to M. If that erodes too far, I'll go looking elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsault270 View Post
Yes but the M5 and the X5M are full blown M cars. This is an X4 M40i not an X4M.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM3 View Post
X5M is a full blown M car just doesn't sound right. I understand your reasoning, but I bet you would struggle to find many on here who think X5Ms and X6Ms are real M cars.
There's the subjective evaluation of "real M car", and then there's the objective evaluation. If a car is built by M GmbH, it's a "real M car". End of story. You don't have to like a car for it to be a real M car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Also, please everyone stop with the "real M car" crap, as has been said before M=Marketing now, it isn't much different than AMG or S/RS, its just a letter BMW uses to describe something as being "sporty and premium", so if you see someone in a M40i is the first thing you are thinking "its not a real M" LOL, WHO CARES, its the highest performing X3/X4 they offer and that's what should matter.
How about you not act so entitled as to dictate what other people should or shouldn't value in an automobile? I do not begrudge the M-Performance lineup. In fact, I love the fact that BMW have introduced the M-Performance line. I wish they had done it years ago, so I could have driven one!

I don't like the phrasing "real M". It sounds elitist, so I'm going to avoid it from here on. Apparently some people cannot be bothered to be generous in their interpretation when someone says "real M", so we must avoid that phrasing altogether.

My complaint is this: In the past cars developed by M GmbH placed a very high priority on all of the things that automotive enthusiasts held dear. All the components that delivered excellent handling and performance were reworked by M. This meant dramatically upgraded suspension, improved steering response, and an engine that delivered not only performance, but excitement. By using the N55B30T0 in the M2, M GmbH has shown that they are willing to compromise on the last item.

Let's avoid a false dichotomy here. It's all shades of gray. It's hard to argue that a bespoke (or mostly bespoke) engine wasn't a big part of the draw of an M car, even dating back to the E30 M3. Case in point, the US model E30 M3 got a half-ass M-engine, and it's the most overlooked of the M3 lineup.

This is great news for the X4 M40i. I'm thrilled, especially considered the fact that this car is on my list of potential purchases. I just think it's concerning that M GmbH have chosen to forego a special variation of the N55 in the M2 in lieu of a what is becoming a series production engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
This is not the x4m. It's an m-performance x4. That's what people have issues with when using a m-esque engine that is designed for the "m"2.
That's close, but as cSurf pointed out above, it's more the other way around. The drag is that the X4 M40i engine is being used in the M2, rather than the other way around
Pretty sure you meant US E36 M3 that had to be petitioned to come to the U.S. And it got a crap M52 bored and stroked and called an S motor. If we got the S50/52B32 it makes it a another level of ///M-prowess.

Imagine the E46 M3 with a massaged M54 and called S54B30......this is what the M2 is with a massaged N55......

T
Appreciate 0