01-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #9
UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
We have been experiencing sub zero temperatures here and I have not perceived a problem with my X3. I do think it takes a little longer to heat the cabin than a smaller car might be able to do but I just perceive that to be a minor thing due to the amount of surface area including the glass (especially) that is cold soaked and fighting the heater. The cabin always gets as warm as I want it without any issue.

Now, that funky knob between the two center dash vents is a strange thing to have when the HVAC system is supposed to be automatic. It will definetly make the air coming out of the vents very hot. On the other hand, on very cold days, I think the air coming out of the center dash vents is a little too cool if the knob is not turned towards warm. I have no clue why it is needed and why the automatic system cannot successfully control this air temperature like it does on every other car that has an automotic system. I also dont why the system has an intensity setting (using the fan speed buttons) when it is in automatic mode. This is another function that other cars do successfully fully automatically by looking at sun load, exterior temperatures and interior tempertures. Although the system works very well it just requires too much driver intervention for an automatic system.
The dial between the vents allows driver/passenger to have cooler air at face level. Personally I find this a great feature .... It's nice to keep the general temperature warm but have some fresh face air !

MS