12-04-2010, 04:09 AM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK View Post
At highway speed (say, +74mph) does the engine acclearate OK? Does the engine take some going to get above this speed?

I will be doing alot of highway driving and want to make sure it has adequate pickup at high-speeds.
Accelerating onto the motorway and up to 88mph to join traffic (back to the future!!) was swift and effortless (dont tell the rozzaz, motorway limit is 70mph), felt like a normal car rather than a SUV.

Having read a review about a lack of puff when crusing I let the car cruise at 70mph they slowly put my foot down, whilst it did pick up straight away it seemed to have a slight lack of power and run out of puff, tried the same in my manual E60 520D on the way home and it definatley had better pick up (dont forget all my comments have been based on a comparrison with my current ride 520d with what I suppose is the 1st generation of the same engine but with manual transmission)

My best advice is your own test drive (please dont be put of by my observations or that of the industry press who I guess are used to testing cars twice the value and performance of the 2.0d - each to their own)

What is your current ride?

Im convinced the X3 2.0d will fine for me (an SUV might ease my heavy right foot and the temptation to jockey position with the young bucks and sales reps).

I will definatley have another test drive in a couple of weeks and the more I think about it the more I look forward to the change again after the slight anti-climax yesterday.
Appreciate 0