09-08-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
DiamondGCoupe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 & 2015 M4

M3 to an X3, am I nuts???

Hi All,

I've been considering upgrading to an SUV for a while now, I purchased my 2010 M3 almost 3 years ago and while I love it, it's time for a change. In my mind my next car has always been a Porsche Cayenne S/GTS (SUV), and since I was recently rear-ended (3 days ago) I think it's time to look at a larger vehicle.

Yesterday I looked at a '13 Cayenne GTS, love the car, look etc.. but with a sticker of $94,XXX+++ and the dealer not willing to discount more than $2-3000, I'm not sure I can justify that right this second. Comparable X5 was slightly less, and coming from an M3 both are obnoxiously HUGE. My biggest complaint with Porsche was the lack of ability to rip CDs to HDD, 6-disk CD changer; really?!

Test drove the X3 last night after an X5 just for fun and I can't stop wanting one. Maybe it's the idea of a new car, maybe it's the right choice. With the Sport/M/Tech package it's almost like a slighty de-tuned M3 that sits a little higher up. Sticker is around $57,000 (purchase price around Invoice + $500 but working on that) and dealer offered me a 'fair' price for my M as-is with about $2100 in damage.

Has anyone made a similar switch?

PS - I'm a Farmers Ins Agent and surprisingly the Porsche is about $600 less per year to insure even though it nearly twice as much ; )
Appreciate 0