View Single Post
      08-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #5
Marmik
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i titanium & black

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsmoke08 View Post
Let me start by saying I love the twin turbo 35 engines, truly a phenomenal piece of technology HOWEVER I'm wondering what the real life usage is with all that power...

But then I remember when driving the 330i asking myself "how could I possibly be able to drive any faster?" (at least on city 35 mph roads or 65 mph highways). So what gives? Wont I then be totally happy with the 28 engine.

Any thoughts?

Don't want to start a flame war, but seriously, what are folks doing NON TRACK with all that 35 turbo power??
I understand your very rational position. You are right that the 35i has no real advantage in normal city/suburban driving. None at all. And if I'd never driven the 35i I would be very content with the 28i. It's interesting because I would say about my 35i what you said about your great 330i. Plenty of power always available, effortless passing at any speed, ability to comfortably cruise a Wyoming two lane hwy at 90 mph for and hour and a half. I've never had a car with such an excess of power, rock stable at speed AND pretty good gas mileage as well. I'm a little worried the extra power is going to get me into trouble. It's too tempting to punch it and just fly away at 100+ mph in seconds... effortlessly. I'd only do this in a safe situation, out of the city, open road but still... I have got to chill or rent a 4 cylinder Hyundai for a month.
Appreciate 0