View Single Post
      08-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #1
bigsmoke08
Rep
Drives: X3

28i vs 35i IRL Engine Comparo....

Let me start by saying I love the twin turbo 35 engines, truly a phenomenal piece of technology HOWEVER I'm wondering what the real life usage is with all that power...

I previously owned a 2001 330i, which was the best car I've ever owned, got nothing but 5 stars from all the automotive press and did 0-60 in just under 6 seconds.

Power was instantly available, could pass anytime, and whenever I really pushed the vehicle, it responded in spades.

Now that is the same speed of the X3 28i that I am now considering ordering, and feeling bad about! I'm telling myself I should really get the x3 35i b/c it's just that much faster, more torque etc

But then I remember when driving the 330i asking myself "how could I possibly be able to drive any faster?" (at least on city 35 mph roads or 65 mph highways). So what gives? Wont I then be totally happy with the 28 engine.

And seriously, I'm now in a 09 x3 30, not a very quick vehicle, and when I drop that into Sport mode, there's really no one on a city road, who's not being incredibly foolish, that could pass me, take me, get anywhere I want to go faster!

I mean with a 65 mph limit, you really can't go responsibly more than 85 or 90, and even that not consistently. You can't pull away from a stop light that much quicker without hitting someone in front of you. so what gives??

Any thoughts?

Don't want to start a flame war, but seriously, what are folks doing NON TRACK with all that 35 turbo power??
Appreciate 0