Thread: Tire-rade
View Single Post
      03-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
Dr Goethe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Another problem

The F25 X3 requires a car jack that fits into the rectangular pockets molded into the underbody. So check your jack(s) first for the proper fit. I thought I had it all solved this winter for long ski trips (far from BMW dealers) using my Blizzak winter tires (non-RFs) by carrying a jack pad, an X3 (2010 version) BMW jack, and even the BMW flat-tire glop and compressor kit. And, I carried one OEM wheel with its summer tire in back as a spare, and for the extra weight to give the rear wheels an edge in traction. But, most BMW OEM wheels are either vehicle side-specific, front to back specific, and/or are furnished with unidirectional rotation tires. Since you cannot predict which wheel will get a flat, it is not really possible to carry a BMW wheel with its tire as a spare. I too had a nail destroy a nearly new RF tire in the first quarter of ownership. I live in a large metro area with 4 BMW dealers within a 50 mile radius. But guess what, no correct size and brand RFT in stock locally; so, I waited 2 days for a new tire. BMW's RF tire philosophy is nuts for people who really need to get places in emergencies or who need to travel far from home.
Appreciate 0