Thread: X3 Ski Trip
View Single Post
      01-07-2015, 02:57 AM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

X3 Ski Trip

Just some points from a recent ski trip.
Route- UK, France, Switzerland. Return- Switzerland, Germany, Holland (for a few miles), Belgium, France, UK.
The Good
1-Average of 36.4 MPG for a very varied drive, including a 1.5 hour wait for the return tunnel. Could have got 40Mpg+ with careful driving
2-Surreal moment, Cruise Control at 100 Mph towards Stuttgart, but being constantly passed by cars at 120Mph+. I went up to 120 Mph for a 5 minute section, but back off.
3-Winter Tyres, essential both in the ski resort and on the drive back through mid Germany
4-The 3.0d engine was excellent on the autobahn
5-The roads in France, Germany and Switzerland were smooth and worked well with RFT tyres
6-BMW Routes worked well. Being able to setup a route on your computer and send it to the car is excellent
7-Paying €1.10 per litre for Diesel in Germany. ~90p :-)

The Bad
1-Returning to poor quality UK roads
2-Car is covered in road salt and needs a good wash
3-Satnav had a couple of minor route glitches, but it did badly let me down twice in Belgium. First it guided me to the left hand lanes on the road, and then it wanted me to turn off, but I couldn't due to a filter barrier being in the way. Had to take a 20 min detour to get back on route. Again in Belgium it took me the wrong way, which involved another detour. The satnav doesn't seem to recalculate the route often enough, and insists on you doing 'U' turns, then it eventually recalcs and get back on track and knocked 15 mins off the ETA. Lesson learnt- know the route in your head before you set off.
Attached Images

Last edited by philtrick123; 01-07-2015 at 03:16 AM..
Appreciate 0