View Single Post
      04-24-2020, 04:32 PM   #9
OldenburgerM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jet Black M3 Coupe

I just did this job, too. Great quick-and-dirty DIY up there, i'll add a few notes and photos for transfer case fluid only:
(I've modified a few things, this is for my 2015 X3 35i)

1. Jackup/use ramps to get all 4 wheels off the ground.
2. Remove transmission cover felt (5 8mm screws).
3. Remove driver side under tray. About 6 8mm screws and 2 10mm nuts and five plastic fasteners along the car's left side (pull the "pin top" out with a screwdriver and the remaining bit will come out -hopefully reusable).
4. Use a jack with a 1x6x6 piece of wood and line up under the transfer case, to hold the back of the transmission up.
5. Remove the 17mm nut from the bushing bolt at the top of the transmission brace towards the vehicle front. This is a long 6 inch bolt and you'll need a 16mm socket for the bolt-side, vehicle's rear. This bolt will slide out easily if you have the right height on your support jack, so fiddle with that a bit - it should slide out easily.
6. Remove the 3 13mm screws on the passenger side of the brace, and then two 16mm screws from the drivers side. Brace will slide out unless you blocked it with the support infrastructure you built like I did :-(
7. Now you have a clear shot with a 14mm hex wrench (bought one from amazon) and remove the fill/drain plug.
8. Insert a mity vac or suction device into the transfer case and I was able to extract 0.5quarts. Measure this amount.
9. Use a fluid pump and pump in BMW DTF1 75w. I pumped in 0.6quarts. Clean the fill plug and tighten back in place.
10. Reverse steps to reinstall everything back in place.
11. So the consensus is to reset the VTG transfer case, if you have the tool. My Nt410 doesn't do this but am not sure if I will go through with it....

My local shop did the computer reset for me, good to go!

I've attached a few pictures.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5