View Single Post
      01-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Im well aware of this effect, but if you are using cruise control to maintain a constant speed them it will not be an issue, the braking only occurs when going down hill to prevent an increase in speed.
The posts I was commenting on clearly do not understand cruise control. - as as stated (by Philtrick123) cruise control is only of real use on less crowded roads so the "shockwave effect is unlikely to be an issue - and most of this 1000 mile journey was on open fast clear Autobahn where cruise control worked extremely.
Fair enough if you are using it on an empty road, but if not then surely on most motorway journeys (outside of the Netherlands) you would be regularly hitting downhill stretches of road and the brakes would be applied? For a driver behind you not using cruise control that could conceivably be frustrating/confusing given that the road in front of you would be clear. Unless of course this only happens on exceptionally steep inclines and engine braking is otherwise employed.

Not particularly sure why I am trying to explain somebody else's comments other than that frequent and apparently unnecessary braking on the motorway is a pet hate of mine.
Appreciate 0