View Single Post
      06-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
JohnnyBxo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Rough idle, Check Engine Light

Hello forum,

I am seeking the kind assistance and advice from you all about an issue I am having with my 2008 X3. The symptoms are a rough idle that feels like misfiring and I have hesitation when trying to accelerate from a stop. The check engine light is on.

I pulled codes for the check engine light and I get P0015, P0303, P0302. I am not surprised about the misfires as that is what I am feeling, but P0015 had me perplexed. The P0015 is camshaft "B" bank 1. So I replaced the camshaft position sensor in the exhaust position. This did not fix the problem. I swapped the camshaft position sensors. This did not fix the problem. So I moved onto the VANOS solenoids. I have swapped the positions and the same codes appear. I have also try to spray out the solenoid with compressed air and this has also not fixed the problem (same codes).

When I swapped position sensors or the VANOS solenoids I was really hoping the codes would change around, but none of them have changed. I have not checked the spark plugs yet on the 2nd and 3rd cylinder, but I have checked the coils and both those coils are functioning (I tested it simply by unplugging the coil from the cylinder to see if I would notice if the engine ran a little rougher and both cylinders caused that).

I am not really sure what the problem is and I would greatly appreciate any help from you knowledgeable folks. What am I overlooking? What could be giving me this code? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JohnnyBxo; 06-10-2016 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0