View Single Post
      09-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #49
frankwin
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive35i w/MSport and +

I am also now looking at a second set of wheels for winter and I agree that the dealer is not the way to go, too expensive. There are tons of BMW copies that will fit for winter perfectly at around 200$ each.

For tires, my experience with performance winter tire is not good. These tire are good in big cities (like Montreal) where most of the time, it is wet or dry. When I was living there it was fine except that I was always getting stock in snow during storm. Embarrassing when you are stock with the kids and there is a big line of car behind you that can pass you.

Real winter condition need real tire and you can not have an amazing snow tire and ice tire, they are two different design. A lot of highways will require ice tire and for the rest, snow tire. Again it all depends where you live but here in Quebec with the driving I do, I want the ultimate show tire. I got stock so many time with my RWD e46 using Contiental, blizzak, Michelin, etc but when I tried the Ghislaved, they were just amazing, so much grip!!! Now they don't seem to make my size so I am going with Nokian Hakkapeliitta which is a high-end version similar to Ghislaved.
Appreciate 0