04-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #64
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
Man, this thread is going downhill fast.

On a serious note (I promise, I'm not intentionally trolling here), I'm curious about the rationale (from the OP or anyone else) about not wearing the seatbelt. Is it the 2 seconds it takes to get on or off? Does it wrinkle clothing? Is it a claustrophobia issue? Is it restrictive? Is it a belief that not wearing a seatbelt actually keeps you safer in some situations as you're able to get out of the vehicle faster? Is it a risk-taking rush?

In all seriousness, there must be a reason why people don't wear seatbelts. I don't want to get into right or wrong, just rationale.

Anyone?
I can give one practical example:

We have a vacation home in the Sierras that sits on a very steep slope. Because of the placement of the structure, there is a very narrow, long, steep driveway with some extremely odd slopes and turns on it. Even though it is paved, most non AWD cars can't get all the way up unless it is totally dry and clear of pine needles - some of the grade changes will cause cars to lift a wheel off the ground at one point.

I usually back up the slope to make exiting a little less exciting. Which means you have to Invariably, the seatbelt will lock at various points as you're pivoting between looking out the back and the sides, trapping you. You have to unbelt. The bonging is pretty annoying. I wouldn't mind turning it off.

Having said that, I think it is downright kooky to not wear one under most circumstances.
Appreciate 0