View Single Post
      04-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #51
nick776
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

As to why, personally--because I want to. I hate wearing seat belts. I should not be "forced" to wear seat belts every time I get in the car I pay for with my own money. If the government paid for it, the argument might fly. Does the government "require" owners of outdoor public places, etc. to play lout sirens when somebody smokes? The answer is no, of course not. Smoking is just as deadly as not wearing a seatbelt, yet some choose to do it anyway. I wonder how the statistics of smoking-related deaths compare to deaths associated with not wearing a seatbelt? Some people JUST DON'T WANT TO WEAR THEM ALL THE TIME. As for those who say the "government requires it" I can tell you it does not. There is absolutely no law of which I am aware (or could find for that matter) which requires that manufacturers such as BMW install obnoxiously loud alarms in automobiles which are triggered when the driver does not wear his or her seat belt. So, BMW DID decide to install the alarm, the government did not require it.
Appreciate 0