Thread: Transfer Case
View Single Post
      10-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #9
Merlin82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 Xdrive35i

I personally think tires could have played a part. In spring this year I put on a set of Goodyear run flats that were used onto my X3. At the same time as i put them on i had been starting to do some 4th gear pulls since i was part of the MHD beta group. And I had noticed some hesitation and the same things as you described when going around corners. I had assumed it was part of the beta tune...I was wrong.

After doing a ton of other stuff to troubleshoot for a month or 2, i tried throwing on my winter tires and the problem went away. Tried a friends set of staggered X5 wheels and again the problem was gone. As soon as the goodyears were back on the problem would come back. I measured tread depth on them again and noticed there was a little variance, and apparently it was enough to cause problems. I ended up putting on a brand new set of tires and again the problem went away.

All was good but over time i noticed the problem slowly coming back. Checked the tires and they still look and measure good, so im guessing the damage was done. Took it to a local shop that specializes in german cars and had them take a look and they confirmed that it was the transfer case. Luckily when i bought it I decided to buy the powertrain warranty, so its all covered. They tried to get the warranty to buy a brand new one from BMW but they didnt go for that and are bringing in a remanufactured unit to put in. But cant wait for the new one so that it drives like normal again.
Appreciate 0