View Single Post
      10-06-2018, 09:33 AM   #8
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Tires:
Below is what the BMW TIS (Tech Info System) states about tires....the TIS is the reference 'manual' that BMW technicians use. Note the remark about tread depth allowable variance front/rear tires.

I'm pretty new to these AWD cars, I do know the owners manual for my 2012 X3 does NOT make ANY reference to tread depth differences when replacing tires. My 'guess' is that the transfer case in the F25 is not negatively affected by front/rear differences in tread depth - I presume if it were a potential issue that BMW would make that clear to the customer in the Owners Manual.

Good luck w/your transfer case issue!

Regards/Bill

Notes and specifications for tyre / wheel exchange
General:

The tyre size, manufacturer and tyre tread must be the same on one axle
To meet the BMW standards, the vehicle should be equipped with tyres from the same manufacturer and with the same tyre tread (tyres approved by BMW) on all 4 wheels
The difference in tyre tread depth on one axle must not exceed 2 mm (control quality of suspension control systems and wheel alignment requirement)
The tyres with the higher tread depths must be mounted on the rear axle
The DOT age difference must not exceed 4 years
The tyre pressure must be adjusted when the tyres are exchanged
Wheel exchange between the axles

The wheels may be exchanged between axles to achieve even abrasion. However, BMW does not recommend switching the front wheels to the rear or vice-versa.

The wheel exchange may lead to the following customer complaints:

complaints regarding acoustics
Risk of increased lane groove sensitivity
Compliance with the following requirements is required when exchanging wheels between the axles:

Assess the wear pattern
The tread difference between the front and rear wheels must not exceed a maximum of 2-3 mm
Exchange the wheels between the axles every 5000 Km

Additionally for all-wheel drive vehicles:

The tyre size, manufacturer and tyre tread must be identical on all wheels; if mixed tyres are fitted, different tyre sizes are permissible.
The tyre tread difference between tyres in all wheel positions must not exceed 2 mm (normal quality of the wheel control systems and wheel alignment requirement)
Appreciate 0